A facelift (Rhytidectomy) is a technique in cosmetic surgery that aspires to give a more youthful look to the face. It reshapes the face by removing the extra facial skin. Rhytidectomy can tighten sagging skin called jowls,around the jawline. Similarly, it helps in removing excess hanging skin and fat under the chin and in the neck. It can evenmore change the appearance of the forehead, cheeks, brows, and eyelids. Thus, the facelift surgery has several benefits like it removes and tightens the hanging skin, lowers the hang of the cheeks around the jawline and uplifts the corners of the mouth.
Kinds of Facelifts.
Facelifts can be of various kinds like Short Scar facelift for patients with less neck looseness, Mid facelift limited to the cheek complex, MACS facelift accessing cranial suspension, Thread lift or feather lift and endoscopic facelift.
This surgical procedure at Dr. Anurag Bhargava’s clinic is performed with utmost care to get back your youthful look. If you are looking for a facelift surgery in Indore, India, Dr. Anurag Bhargava is an undoubted choice. He has over 12 years of experience in cosmetics, as well as, plastic reconstructive surgeries, and can help you to enhance your personality.
What happens in Facelift Surgery?
The flap of skin on each side of the face is pulled back during a face-lift, and the tissues below the skin are surgically changed to get the contour of the face to a younger look. Before the flap is stitched closed, excess skin is removed.
As part of face-lift, a neck-lift is done to reduce fat deposits and sagging skin on the neck. As such a face-lift will not decrease wrinkles or damage from sun exposure.
Because of normal age-related changes, as you grow old the look and shape of your face are changed. The skin becomes less elastic and loose. The fat deposits also increase and decrease in areas of your skin. The following changes may be reduced with facelift surgery.
- The weakening appearance of your cheeks.
- Excess skin at jowls.
- Increasing of the fold of the skin from the side of the nose to the corner of your mouth.
- Weakening skin and excess fat in the neck.
A facelift doesn’t provide treatment for wrinkles, sun damage or irregularities in the skin.
The risks associated with facelift surgery can be managed with adequate care, medication, and surgical correction. Long-time complications can cause changes in looks. The risks include:
- Hematoma – Swelling and pressure which occurs due to the collection of blood ( Hematoma). It is treated quickly with surgery to prevent damage to the skin and other tissues.
- Scaring – Though cuts are concealed by the hairline and natural contours of the face and ear. Many times cuts can result in red scars. Corticosteroid injections and other treatments might be used to improve the appearance of scar.
- Nerve Injury- Nerve that control sensation or muscles can be permanently or temporarily be affected by the injury. Temporary paralysis of select muscle may result in uneven facial appearance or expression. Due to nerve injury loss of sensation may occur when lasts a few months or year. Surgical involvement may offer some improvement.
- Hair Loss- Temporary or permanent hair loss may occur near the incision site. Permanent hair loss can be treated with surgery to transplant skin with the hair follicle.
Lifestyle Habits that cause a risk
Certain lifestyle habits may also increase the risk of complications. Due to some unfavorable results as mentioned below the doctor may advise against a facelift.
Blood Thinning Medications Cause Hematoma – There are certain medications
administered which cause thinning of blood and increase the risk of hematomas after surgery.
Medical Problems – Medical problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes may not easily allow the wound to heal and other medical condition that prevents blood clotting may cause hematomas and heart complications.
Smoking – Due to smoking it may take time for the wound to heal and may also cause skin loss after face-lift surgery.
Weight Transition – If you face repeated weight gain or loss the result of the surgery may not be satisfactory.
- Medical history and examination– The doctor will physically examine you and will study recent records to suggest surgery. The doctor may enquire about your medical conditions, previous surgeries, history of smoking, drug or alcohol use.
- Medical Investigation – You will have to give details about the medicines you take regularly including prescribed drugs, herbal medications, vitamins.
- Facial examination – The doctor will take photos of your face. To determine your best options for facelift surgery the surgeon will examine your bone structure, the shape of your face, fat distribution and quality of your skin.
- Outcomes of Face Lift – The surgeon will make you understand how a face-lift will likely change the appearance and what a facelift doesn’t fulfill, such as wrinkles or asymmetry in your face.
Instructions Before Face Lift
- Medicine Directions – The doctor may advise you to stop taking certain blood-thinning medicines before the surgery. Consult the doctor about which medicines are safe to take and how the dose can be adjusted.
- Wash Your face and hair – Before the surgery, the doctor will ask you to wash hair and face with a germicidal soap.
- Not To Indulge in eating – The night before your facelift, avoid eating anything. You can drink water and take medicines as approved by the doctor.
- Arrange For Help – After your surgery make someone available to take care of you. Stay with you after the surgery.
- Expectations For you
A facelift is performed in a hospital or outpatient facility.
Before the surgery
Either local or general anesthesia is given before the surgery.
During the Surgery
The excess skin is removed in facelift surgery. It also involves lifting the skin and tightening the tissues and muscles. Fat in the face and neck may be carved, removed or redistributed and the wound is stitched.
The type of incision will depend upon the patient’s preferences and the techniques that will be used.
A face-lift incision – An incision might be made under your chin to improve the look of your neck. It may start at your temples in the hairline, continue around the front of the ears and ends behind your ears in the lower scalp.
A limited incision – A limited incision does not extend into the lower scalp. It begins in your hairline just above the ear, wraps around the front of your ear.
Neck-Lift incision – In neck lift incision a small incision is made under your chin. It starts in front of your earlobe and continues around your ear into your lower scalp.
Face surgery usually takes 2-4 hours.
A face-lift can give your face and neck a younger look. It is usually noted that face-lifts are not permanent. With age, the facial skin may begin to sag again. Face-lift can last to 10 years.
Your treatment plan is designed for steady progress, with every phase promptly implemented.
Make an Appointment
Dr. Anurag Bhargava
I got a three molars removed from Dr Anurag Bhargav. The surgery was performed in around 30-40 minutes for all the molars. The surgery was performed really well and I had a good experience. After the surgery, I experienced pain for around a week, but the painkillers prescribed really helped. I was satisfied with the quality of surgery and the medical staff at the clinic were also very courteous. They followed up a couple of days after the surgery to take feedback and remind me of the steps needed to heal faster. Overall, I would recommend Dr Anurag Bhargav for teeth extraction. Thank you.
Mar 18, 2020